Friday, May 18, 2012

Seeking New Challenge -- 2012.05.18

Followed up by phone on 2 jobs.
The first followup my contact sounded a bit sad but she had a pleasant French accent.
The next 3 I got voicemail and left messages. Friday calls probably not the best idea...

Received 3 email confirmations.

My company has a job listing in Anchorage -- with the max relocation package -- but my only qualification is that I've lived there before. So having moose in my backyard wouldn't bother me.

True story -- I once convinced my friend a moose dropping was a malted milk ball (Whopper) and he almost ate it -- but I lost my nerve and smacked it out of his hand before he could eat it.

Having grown up there, I wonder if returning as an adult almost 40 years later -- along with holding down a job and paying bills -- would kill the magic.

And despite my girlfriend's insistence that she would follow me to the ends of the earth, she's probably not ready for the following:
  • Snow from October to March
  • Subzero (Fahrenheit) temps
  • 20 hours of sunlight in the summer, 20 hours of darkness in winter
  • Beaches made of rocks and water so cold it's painful to wade into it
If Jimmy Buffett wrote a song about Alaska, it would probably go, "BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I've lost the feeling in my legs, and my margarita is now a popsicle."

No comments: