Today marks the eighth anniversary of my employment at my company. So I sent a thank-you message to the guy whose blessing I had to secure to get the job. He also was the one who gave me my first Seth Godin book.
I don't think my career actually justified his blessing, I'm still a slacker -- writing this blog when I should be handling a bit of administrative craft.
The job for which I interviewed yesterday failed my gut check this morning. Have I become too fearful of change or hard work? Slackers aren't supposed to like hard work at all -- that's not true of me, I just don't like working hard EVERY DAY like some people think you should.
I also told the guy who sells me soda downstairs how sorry I felt for him because he has to show up EVERY DAY. Actually, just five days a week and he closes at 6pm or so, which is a great gig for a convenience store. But for me it sucks. Overcoming or accepting that fact of life will decide whether I can go out on my own or not.
The dude from the place that rejected me on Monday called. I think it was an accident -- butt-dialing I think the kids today call it. But it was nice to imagine him changing his mind. They know what they need, they need to go get it. And so do I.
No comments:
Post a Comment